(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, July 04, 2005

Independence Day

FREE! Free from the fourth chapter, which is now, in all its not-nearly-good-enough-ness, on its way to my advisor. (I sent one copy as an email attachment just now, and I have a hard copy sealed up to drop in the mail tomorrow.)

I can't believe I've been sweating over this for so long, and it's barely 40 pages (it does still lack a proper conclusion, but that isn't exactly going to push the page count up to the length of my two middle chapters, which are more like 60 or 65pp.). I know--page count isn't everything, but given that I'm not sure this thing has much CONTENT going for it either . . . I'd just feel better if it seemed more substantive in any one of several ways.

But--at least I can stop thinking about it for a week or two until I hear back from FA.

Acknowledgements:
Caffeine, thank you. Couldn't have done it without your help. And thanks also go to the sofa of destiny, to my new, functional computer, and, lately, to Morphine. The band, that is--not the drug (I don't think Mary Tyrone's piano playing was noticeably improved when she was hitting the smack, and I'm pretty sure the same would be true for writing). I've had three of their albums on repeat for a few days now--Yes, Cure for Pain, and The Night--and they've proven a perfect soundtrack to write to. Dark, moody, and jazzy. Much like your humble blogger herself.

(And of course, thanks also to everyone who's listened to my bitching over the last couple of months. Unfortunately for you, there's more where that came from.)

And now ~~ off to make a martini!


link | posted by La Lecturess at 10:39 PM |


8 Comments:

Blogger Tiruncula commented at 7:04 AM~  

Congratulations! Doneness is such a fine state, isn't it? Wish I were there myself on any part of any current project.

Blogger BrightStar (B*) commented at 7:40 AM~  

I love that you acknowledged caffeine. :)

LOL @ "the sofa of destiny."

I like your bitching. Keep it up! :)

congrats on a full draft! It could always be better, but done is done, so yay for that.

Blogger What Now? commented at 9:53 AM~  

Congratulations! Having a 40-page chapter to send off to your advisor is a triumph, even if it could be better (because, as B* says, it could always be better) and doesn't have a conclusion (which for me is always what gets added during later revisions). Hurrah!

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 4:30 PM~  

Hey, thanks all! So nice to emerge from the library and find such well-wishes waiting for me.

And rest assured: more bitching forthwith.

Blogger Stewgad commented at 5:27 PM~  

Huge Congrats!! Revel in the liberated feeling - you deserve it!

It is funny that your post also was filled with disclaimers about the chapter you just handed in. I just posted something similar. Why is it we cannot just accept the work we've done, and be happy with it? What is it about grad students that we have to see the flaws loom large in our own work and have to struggle hard to notice any good things?

Anyway, warm wishes for this success!

Blogger Tiruncula commented at 5:51 PM~  

Hey, it's not just grad students who feel that way. The feeling persists, as do the undead things one wrote in grad school.

Blogger New Kid on the Hallway commented at 6:41 PM~  

No, definitely not just grad students (sigh!).

Congrats on the draft! Hope you enjoyed the martini!

Blogger BrightStar (B*) commented at 11:27 PM~  

LOL @ more bitching forthwith. :) That's like The LadyKillers -- we shall have waffles forthwith. :) If you don't know the movie to which I am referring, please move along...

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com