(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Major renovations

I'm referring, of course, to my chapter. I just got through my first set of hand revisions, which involved way more longhand composition than usual: six pages of new intro material, some five pages of transitional material in the middle, and numerous other insertions of at least two pages apiece--in addition to all the usual sentence- or paragraph-level changes. I'm pleased with the general direction this is taking, but all this new stuff is still pretty rough, and the overall structure is strange and ungainly, like an adolescent kid who's just hit a growth spurt and hasn't yet figured out how to keep from banging his shoulders into door frames or jabbing people with his elbows. Long term this work will be all to the good, but I worry that I won't have enough time to make it look presentable by the submission date. Sure, I can smooth down his cowlicks and get the schmutz out of his eyes, but his pantlegs will still only come halfway down his shins, his socks won't match, and one shoulder seam on his jacket will be ripped out.

But what the hell. There's only so much time, right? And now my brother's in town for a week, and GWB arrives Tuesday, so after I type up this round of changes tomorrow my gangly teenaged child will have to fend for himself for a while.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 10:45 AM |


2 Comments:

Blogger What Now? commented at 12:22 PM~  

How deliciously "Author to her Book," a la Anne Bradstreet!

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 12:54 PM~  

Funny, WN, but that's exactly what GWBoyfriend said upon reading this post. Guess that's what it is to be an Americanist!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com