(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Oh, and another complaint

The bathrooms on my floor (and all the floors that contain more offices than classrooms) are always kept locked. Faculty and graduate students have keys, but undergrads do not.

I gather that it's for security reasons, but I've always thought it was stupid: every floor has classrooms on it, and what are students supposed to do? Take the elevator down to the first floor (the building has more than 10) and then come back up?

Well, I now think it's even stupider: today, for the second time in a week, a student I don't know came wandering down the hallway, found my office way back in my module, knocked on my just-barely ajar door, and asked me to let her into the bathroom. Which is WAAAY down the hall from my office. When I'm in the middle of frantically prepping my afternoon classes during my whole hour and a half of downtime all day.

Even more irritating: I think it's the same girl, and I think she knew where my office was because, on Tuesday, at the same hour, an ancient male professor accompanied her on this errand. Thanks, pal. I'm keeping my door shut in the future.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 10:05 PM |


2 Comments:

Blogger Ianqui commented at 10:51 PM~  

Wow, that's really annoying. I'd be pretty pissed.

Yesterday I got a phone call from some random person who wanted a copy of the syllable for the dept's intro class. I am neither the professor of that class, nor the secretary of the department.

Blogger Terminal Degree commented at 3:19 AM~  

Random students are always asking if I have a key to the office next door. Why would I have a key to my colleague's office? And even if I did, why would a student think I'd let them in? Weird.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com