(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, January 27, 2006

Stop the presses!

The latest issue of PMLA looks. . . interesting!

I can't remember the last time more than a single article in what George Washington Boyfriend refers to as "the PMLA bran muffin" seemed plausibly worth reading. (And, honestly, I can only think of one article in the last year or two that proved, afterwards, actually to have been worth reading.)

Now, if only I had the time to read the damn thing. . .


link | posted by La Lecturess at 12:54 AM |


5 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Crazy commented at 11:16 AM~  

Ok, mine hasn't arrived yet. I will not believe you until I see it for myself.

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 11:44 AM~  

My caveat should be that, of the five articles that I intend at least to TRY to read, three are on stuff in my actual field. And I do always try to get through those articles, on the relatively rare occasions that they occur.

Blogger Ancrene Wiseass commented at 12:33 PM~  

Wow. Seriously?

Profession was pretty interesting this time around, too. What's happening at the MLA?

Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. commented at 4:51 PM~  

I dunno--everytime I read the table of contents of PMLA (or most other scholarly journals, to be fair), I always have this gut-reaction of "No *wonder* everyone outside academia hates/makes fun of us--look what we do with our time!" "Irrelevant Abstruseness For Irrelevant Abstruseness's Sake" should be our motto, sometimes...But there is the occasional nugget of gold, of course. Like the stuff that *we* personally publish--*that* stuff is great. Thank God for us.

(Oh, and just to throw down the gauntlet in parting, La L.--Dryden is *brilliant*. So there. There, I've initiated a literary holy war. What fun.)

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 1:42 AM~  

AW: Actually, I tend to enjoy Profession (although sometimes for the wrong reasons--I'm still savoring the crazy autobiographical meltdown and the even crazier so-they-all-put-their-hoods-on-in-solidarity essays from this past one). But PMLA is another story.

JD: Hey, I'm not prejudiced! I even have friends who are Drydenists! (Alas, that's the truth.) I've taken this battle over to your blog.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com