(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 27, 2006

Photoblogging: A Tale of Two Coats

No, I haven't died--I've just been trying to work my way out from under the remains of those 110 papers, write a couple of midterms, reapply for this lectureship for next year, and accomplish a whole bunch of other things that I've already forgotten about.

George Washington Boyfriend was also in town over the weekend, and we celebrated my birthday, belatedly, by going to see a most excellent production of All's Well That Ends Well, grabbing brunch with Def & Stave, and then going almost to the ends of the earth for someone else's birthday party, for which we were amply rewarded with Prohibition-era cocktails (minus the bathtub hootch), two disdainful cats, and one woman with a fake but compelling Israeli accent.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from the weekend, featuring first my fabulous mink coat* and then (along with the lovely h.k.) the almost equally fabulous peacock-blue one that I bought on sale last fall. Since when did I become all about the coats? Couldn't tell you. But they're lovely, no?

[Image redacted]

*As I mentioned in an earlier post, I inherited this coat, gratis, from a coworker of my mother's, and it's at least 40 years old. In other words, those animals have been dead for longer than I've been alive.

[Image redacted]


(These photos will self-destruct in approximately 24 hours, but I wanted to take this opportunity to give y'all a completely false impression of my life and the glamorousness thereof.)


link | posted by La Lecturess at 9:50 PM |


14 Comments:

Blogger lucyrain commented at 10:22 PM~  

Lovely girl, you are.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 10:32 PM~  

Such fabulousness! Your life does, indeed, seem most glamourous as seen in this wardrobe. I, on the other hand, am wearing sweatpants and a flannel shirt.

Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ commented at 10:36 PM~  

Oh la la! :)

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 10:41 PM~  

Hee! WN, I am at the moment myself wearing men's pyjama pants and a stretched out old tank top (it's a million degrees in my radiator-heated apartment).

And Prof Me: neither of those photos really conveys the actual color of my hair--but it isn't red, alas.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:04 PM~  

Whoo hoo, I'm famous! Although ... I'm not sure how I feel about being Girl With Blacked-Out Face. Mysterious? Undercover? A "Don't"?

Blogger kermitthefrog commented at 11:08 PM~  

Ooh... I hope the mink coat went with the Prohibition-era cocktails, too...

Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. commented at 11:52 PM~  

Zoinks! GW Boyfriend is, shall we say, an aesthetically fortunate individual. But enough of such inappropriateness--you saw a "most excellent" production of ALL'S WELL? Isn't that like a "most cheerful and heartwarming" performance of LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT? I mean, come on--that play? Excellent? Watchable, even? I strain to imagine it, and fail. Are you sure you didn't have the cocktails *beforehand*? Or was it just the fabulousness of the coat giving a glow to the experience?

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 12:09 AM~  

I remember hair coming up when I posted about elegance or some such a little while back, and you made a comment about your haircut... and I have to say, I love it! I'm totally jealous. I'd never be able to get away with it - I'd end up looking like I had a Charlie Brown head or something (i.e., big and round, not that your head looks remotely like that!). And yes, the mink is totally gorgeous. You look very posh!

Blogger phd me commented at 12:17 AM~  

Tres chic, Lecturess! I adore the hair!!

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 12:23 AM~  

HK: You're just an international woman of mystery. Or an international...what did we decide you were, again?

JD: It was, in fact, most excellent. I'd never seen a production of the play before and would indeed have strained, before the fact, to imagine it as watchable. But the performances were uniformly great, and the play psychologically believable to a degree I wouldn't have thought possible. Wish I had a recording to screen for my students in the future.

Blogger Bardiac commented at 9:48 AM~  

I'm neutral to the mink, but the blue is perfection!

(But as long as you're going to wear the mink, you DO need to drink those fancy depression era cocktails Dryden mentioned.)

Blogger Ancrene Wiseass commented at 11:39 AM~  

Ooh! I like the blue one. And yeah, the haircut is fantastic.

Blogger timna commented at 4:47 PM~  

I thought it was just me about the haircut. It's amazing.

looking for my own next cut....

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 9:12 PM~  

Thanks for all the love, peeps!

I suffered through years of bad hair before figuring out what worked with what I've got--which is very thick hair with a lot of wave at the roots. However, my hair is so heavy that the wave is pulled right out when it's long(ish) and all of a length. For many years, I had the pyramid-head effect of a straight blunt bob before discovering the wonders of layers and the thinning shears.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com