(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Done.

Done, that is, with Chapter 4, the final chapter of my dissertation.

Those of you who are keeping up will remember that I still have to write the introduction to the whole damn project, which I don't expect to be a cakewalk--but all the same, getting to the end of my dissertation is extremely satisfying.

I find conclusions hard to write, even when I'm able to identify all the pieces that I want to be in there. It's that tone--slightly grand, slightly elegiac--that I just can't muster unless I'm in the mood, and unless I really feel done with a given subject. And I feel pathetic for admitting this, but when I do get that tone right, when it matches the substance of what I'm trying to say and when it bids a proper farewell to the material, it makes me cry. (I guess that's how I know that I have it right, but it also makes me feel like a big old cheeseball.)

I don't think I can explain it further. I've always cried at strange moments in movies or novels; moments when, for one reason or another, a sudden stabbing sense of the loveliness and vanity of human endeavors--those attempts at love or success or simple decency--comes upon me. (I bawled all through the epilogue to Middlemarch, both times, if that gives you any sense of what I'm talking about.) And the feeling that I have when I write an effective conclusion is similar, though I don't know what the referent for it is--am I just so damn moved by my subject matter? By my own deathless prose?

Dunno. But it's damn weird.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 11:05 PM |


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:21 PM~  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:25 PM~  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Rhonda commented at 12:36 AM~  

Congratulations!

Blogger negativecapability commented at 5:23 PM~  

I feel you on having trouble with the end - I also find the introduction writing, no matter the size of the project, easier one the end is done than doing the end.

Wow, that makes a lot of sense :)

Blogger What Now? commented at 10:53 PM~  

Congrats on finishing Ch. 4. I too have such a terrible time writing a conclusion; clearly the convention is to make a sweeping statement about the immense significance of my subject. And whether I just freeze up under the pressure or am more realistic about the humble stature of my work, I just can't make those grand conclusive gestures. So my work has a tendency to just fizzle at the end, and I spend great energy in trying to reanimate that fizzle (to mix a metaphor).

Anyway, that's all about me, and I meant this comment to be all about you--congratulations! And good luck on that introduction.

Blogger BrightStar (B*) commented at 12:03 PM~  

I think it's sweet, the crying. It demonstrates perhaps your passion, perhaps your relief at accomplishing a big or important task.

Congratulations!

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:13 AM~  

well done babe!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com