(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 07, 2005

Leisurely weekend

Got virtually nothing done this weekend, apart from the reading for my classes today, but it was a nice break. I was in Quaint Smallish City until this morning, where George Washington Boyfriend and I did some shopping (bought a fabulous, peacock-blue 3/4-length coat on sale at Nordstrom's); met up with his mother, sister, and brother-in-law; saw the fall theatrical production at Atypical College (a great, lesser-known 18th-century play). . . and had my first blogger meet-up! What Now joined us for brunch and then a stroll around town on Sunday. She's as lovely in person as she is in cyberspace, and I'm glad we had the chance to hang out.

I really ought to have done some work on an old conference paper I'm revising for publication, but I just couldn't muster up the energy. It's a tiny little thing, and non-refereed, so it isn't high on my priority list except insofar as it's due a week from tomorrow. Instead, I've been reading, yes READING, actual, non-teaching- or research-related books. Books! I literally can't name the last entire book I read that wasn't either immediately or peripherally related to my work. The ones I'm engrossed in now are, arguably, semi-professional (Michael Berube's The Employment of English and Pepys's diary), but since they aren't serving any immediate purpose other than pleasure and general information, they count as leisure reading from where I sit.

But stay tuned to see whether I actually finish either one--papers are coming due soon.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 1:20 PM |


3 Comments:

Blogger What Now? commented at 9:30 PM~  

It was lovely to see you and GWB this weekend! Fun to meet in person after knowing each other in the blogosphere.

Blogger Tiruncula commented at 9:37 PM~  

I'm jealous! I'm going to have to position myself for a meetup before I leave for parts unknown.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 1:13 PM~  

I've read about 25 novels just for fun since the beginning of the year. And most of my reading is done after the kids are asleep. I love reading so I FORCE MYSELF to do it and the payoff is nice.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com