(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Cleaning house

What with my sudden decision last summer to finish my dissertation by October, starting teaching full-time in late August, and going on the job market in the midst of it all, it's been a LONG time since I've really been on top of my shit, housekeeping-wise. Sure, I'd scrub out the bathroom, vaccuum, and sort my papers and books into relatively neat piles when I had company coming, but that was about the extent of it.

Over the last few days, however, I have:
  • Taken three large bags of clothing to the thrift store at my church
  • Thrown out all the drafts and other papers in my refrigerator's crisper drawer
  • Tossed a year's worth of old magazines
  • Filed or boxed old letters & correspondence
  • Purchased a shredder, the better to purge my file cabinet of old bills and bank statements
  • Written thank-you notes for Xmas presents, my hand-me-down doctoral robes (which actually aren't in the style INRU currently uses; bummer!), and my mink
  • Finalized my syllabi and uploaded them onto Blackboard
  • Written two letters of recommendation
  • Gotten my hair cut
  • Dusted, vaccuumed, scrubbed, and polished my apartment's Victorian-era woodwork
I'm not quite done yet, but I'm starting to feel as though I can breathe again. Although I still have a lot of work to do before the semester starts (most urgently: writing an article for which I've already had the deadline extended once; revising a paper for a conference next month; planning my first week of classes), getting on top of my physical environment and removing some of those little nagging obligations always improves my outlook. For the moment, anyway, I am so not thinking about the job market.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 10:41 PM |


3 Comments:

Blogger What Now? commented at 11:26 PM~  

I should so be doing the same kind of housework and getting my act together. And instead I've gotten a cold and am spending most of my time sacked out on the couch and sleeping. Aargh.

If you have any excess energy after you finish all your work, feel free to come tackle my study!

Blogger Dr. Virago commented at 10:28 AM~  

I'm so jealous. Our classes start on Monday. Ack! I wish I had more time to do the kind of stuff you're doing.

And btw, the crisper drawer as important document storage has to be the best crazy idea I've ever heard before!

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 4:12 PM~  

So this weekend I cleaned........jack shit. It's way too early to think about spring cleaning though!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com