(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 06, 2006

Slowly sinking

Last Thursday, I received 23 papers from my class on Author #1. So far, I've graded six, but I think I can get them done in the next couple of days--I'd sure better, because...

This Thursday, I will be receiving 27 papers from my class on Author #2.

And the following Thursday I will be receiving 60 papers from Surveys 1 & 2.

And about the time that I'm finishing up those survey papers? I'll receive 87 midterms. And then 23 new papers on Author #1.

God help me.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 5:33 PM |


5 Comments:

Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. commented at 6:48 PM~  

"God help you"? Frankly, I'd say the trial ahead is proof of His non-existence, sadism, or bland indifference to the fate of mortals. (Why *does* bad grading happen to good teachers? See, this is why I drink...) Of course, you could always use the "stand-at-the-top-of-the-stairs-with-the-stack-and-the-ones-that-travel-the-farthest-when-thrown-en-masse-get-an-A-and-so-on" method. I mean, it's arbitrary and cruel, but then so is this much grading, so fair's fair, right?

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 9:15 PM~  

It's why I drink too, JD (well, actually, there are other reasons for that, but this will serve for the meanwhile). In fact, I've just come home from a b-day party for a kick-ass actor friend of mine who isn't getting the recognition she deserves, and so. . . yes. Drunk. But since I'm a happy drunk, it may well be for the good of the students involved.

Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. commented at 1:41 PM~  

Ah, see, that's where we differ--I simply can't Drink And Grade--I tend to get very "Kill 'Em All And Let God Sort 'Em Out" in my approach. "A 'C-' will teach them all the humility they need, the little bastards!" That sort of thing. And of course, as all graders know, we can *always* find reasons to lower a grade. "Comma splice?! 'F'!!!" Must do my work sober. But the work makes me want to drink. Which I can't do in order to do the work. Which makes me want to drink even more. A vicious non-cycle...Hope things are going well.

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 1:54 PM~  

Yes, I know that cycle--because regrettably, and despite my bravado, I can't ACTUALLY grade (or do intellectual work of any sort, except perhaps typing up edits I've already made by hand) while drinking. Not even one little drink.

It's one of the great sorrows of my life--but possibly also what keeps me from becoming a total raving alcoholic.

Blogger Ancrene Wiseass commented at 2:31 PM~  

Dear Lord. I think this post is going to give me nightmares. Nightmares about suffocating under a gigantic pile of essays and exams as I also slowly bleed to death from a millon paper cuts.

Sometimes, I actually do have just a little bit of whiskey (maybe one finger's width with a little ice) in order to settle down enough to grade. I think my students tend to benefit. At the very least, the muscles in my upper back loosen up, which makes me considerably less grumpy.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com