(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 27, 2006

You just haven't earned it yet, baby

Okay, I'm breaking my Blogger fast to make this observation:

I've been listening to The Smiths tonight for the first time in a very long while (I used to love the Smiths), when the song that gives this post its title came on.

I'd think that my CD player was trying to tell me something about my career--or, really, about any one of a number of other things--but given that my other options include, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now," "Panic," "These Things Take Time," "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish," "I Know It's Over," and "Nowhere Fast," I'm probably playing with a stacked deck.

You just haven't earned it yet, baby
You just haven't earned it, son
You just haven't earned it yet, baby
You must suffer and cry for a longer time
You just haven't earned it yet, Baby
And I'm telling you now ...
I'll tell you why
I'll tell you why


link | posted by La Lecturess at 9:35 PM |


3 Comments:

Blogger lucyrain commented at 10:00 PM~  

I ah-LOVE The Smiths. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Of those listed, "I Know It's Over" is my fave. In all of its literal and ironic glory. I love every frickin' word.

Rule number one for listening to The Smiths: Don't take them too seriously, Or, do, of you're in the mood.

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 10:23 PM~  

Yeah--that's one reason I have trouble with so many of the contemporary Smiths knock-off (or just generally whiny alterna) bands: they don't seem to understand that it only works if you're simultaneously wallowing in your misery and making FUN of yourself for wallowing in your misery.

My college roommate (who's out here in the readership somewhere) nearly went nuts, I listened to the Smiths so much. These days I rarely think to put them on, but when I do, I'll listen to all eight of the albums I own, one after the other, for a week straight. Does me good.

Blogger Oso Raro commented at 2:51 AM~  

The Smiths? Oh dear! Doll, lemme send you over some Madonna "Sorry" remixes and an ice cold bottle of Stoly!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com