(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Really dead women writers

Bardiac started assembling this list of really dead women writers as a way of expanding the boundaries of the women-writers meme that Mon began--and since then a few other bloggers have pitched in.

As many of you know, I do not work on women writers. Nor do I work on anything that could remotely be considered to touch on issues of sex or gender. Nevertheless, and partly because I've been trying hard to teach a version of my period survey class that isn't ONLY full of the usual suspects, I've recently been thinking more about older female writers and I'm delighted that Bardiac got the ball rolling on this one.

As it stands when last I saw it, here's the list as assembled by Bardiac, Dr. Virago, and Amanda. Bolded are the ones I've read myself (in whole or in part); my additions follow.

The (draft) REALLY DEAD WOMEN WRITERS meme

Aphra Behn - Oroonoko
Anne Bradstreet - Collected Poems
Anonymous - The Floure and the Leafe (Dr. V explains her reasoning on her blog)
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz: Fama y obras póstumas
Christine de Pisan (aka Pizan) - The Book of the City of Ladies
Julian of Norwich - Revelations of Divine Love
Margery Kempe - The Book of Margery Kempe
Lanyer, Aemilia - Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum
Anne Locke (aka Ane Lok, etc) - A Meditation of a Penitent Sinner
Marie de France - The Lais of Marie de France
The Paston Women - The Paston Letters
Lady Mary Wroth - Poems

My contributions:

Anne Askew - The Examinations of Anne Askew
Mary Sidney - Psalms
Anne Finch - Poems
Katherine Phillips - Poems
Teresa of Avila - Life

If you've got more to add, drop Bardiac a line when you do so, so she can keep track of the list.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 12:43 PM |


6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown commented at 1:40 PM~  

Hi LL, many congrats on your new job! I've taken up the meme over at my blog too, if interested - I've incorporated your contributions and Bardiac's and Dr. V's....

Blogger Weezy commented at 6:17 PM~  

Awesome! A chance to put my historical super powers to work :) I'll hop right over to bardiac's place and pick it up also!

Blogger Hieronimo commented at 12:03 AM~  

It's odd that Cary's Mariam seems to have been left off all the lists, since I imagine it's one of the most commonly taught texts by an early modern woman writer, no?

Also, Brown's Women Writers Online is a very full list of this sort.

Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. commented at 2:36 PM~  

Margaret Cavendish's THE BLAZING WORLD seems to belong there. Perhaps Haywood's LOVE IN EXCESS?

Blogger Weezy commented at 2:44 PM~  

I just added links to most of mine-- many are even online! There is another one that is escaping me at the moment-- colonial woman from the Harrisburg, PA area. Arrrgghh! (in my best Charlie Brown Voice)

Blogger Bardiac commented at 2:56 PM~  

Hi La Lecturess,

Thanks for contributing to the meme! I'm trying to put things together now to make a fuller post one of these days!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com