(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 10, 2005

P-h-fucking-D

I haven't posted in a few days because I've been sitting fidgeting in front of my computer, waiting to hear the results of Tuesday's faculty meeting to approve dissertations for December degrees. The official notification is sent through the post, but the graduate registrar--a dear but deeply flakey soul--had assured me that she'd email me first with the news.

No email Tuesday. No email Wednesday. No email today. So finally, at 4 p.m.--after my mail had been delivered and I'd confirmed that the official letter wasn't in it--I broke down and emailed her.

Bless her heart, she wrote back right away to tell me that the vote to approve my dissertation was unanimous--adding, "your dissertation was especially praised for its high typographical standards!"

Which. . . huh. Could you have come up with fainter praise?

Whatever. I'm not going to fret over that or anything else right now. Instead, I'm going to make myself a big old drink. I don't really need to prep for class tomorrow.

[UPDATE: I had just enough brandy left to make a good-sized sidecar, my once and future favorite cocktail, so I'm sipping that and munching on Japanese snacks. The radiators in my building are on for the first time this fall, and I'm loving the warmth and that amazing steam-heat smell that always says autumn to me. . . mmm. If only I didn't have to get up at 6 a.m. tomorrow, life would be grand.]


link | posted by La Lecturess at 9:11 PM |


17 Comments:

Blogger BrightStar (B*) commented at 9:38 PM~  

oh my word...

interesting that the whole faculty has to approve it.

what this tells me is that they didn't really read it, perhaps?

congratulations again, though. :)

Blogger Professor B commented at 10:40 PM~  

Congrat-u-fucking-lations *Dr.* Lecturess!

Blogger Susanna commented at 10:44 PM~  

Inspired by the commenter above:
Congratu-motherfucking-lations, Doctora!

Blogger Dr. Virago commented at 7:52 AM~  

Because I'm a Battlestar Galactica geek:

Congratu-fraking-lations!!!

And yeah, interesting that the whole faculty has to vote. As for the typographcial comment: was that perhaps coming from the filing office people/person? Because at my PhD institution the woman who accepted the two copies for binding and for sending to the microfilm people was really scary and exacting. She'd measure your margins and the spaces between words and page numbers with a ruler. And she sat along in an office piled floor to ceiling with dissertations. I worried about fire code. It was all rather Dickensian.

Again -- woo-hoo! And also: mmmmmmmmm, sidecars!

Blogger AAYOR commented at 8:36 AM~  

(I wonder if Virago and I went to the same Uni... I remember that woman)!

Congrats, L!! Any more hurdles or is this the very last?

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:10 AM~  

Woo-hu!
I bet that feels good.

Oh, and Dr. Virago and Aayor, I think that woman is somehow present at EVERY university. It must be some sort of interdimensional fracture sort of thing ...

Oh, and I know of people who's dissertations she did not approve due to margin errors, line spacing, or some such. They had to redo them.

Blogger La Lecturess commented at 11:17 AM~  

Wow, I'm glad that woman doesn't exist at INRU, although we do have to certify, to the department, that our submitted diss has no typographical errors (which certification made me nervous, since surely I had SOME errors, somewhere! And what would happen when someone found them?).

I'll be getting the readers' reports tomorrow or the next day, which may clear up the mystery of the faint praise. And incidentally, B* and other curious people--although the entire English faculty VOTE on dissertations, only three people apart from one's advisor have actually read it: the readers present the project and their recommendations to the rest of the faculty, and take their questions.

Blogger phd me commented at 3:18 PM~  

Congrats, congrats, Dr. Lecturess! I am rather concerned with all this talk of rulers and line spacing but this is not about me - CONGRATS!

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 3:49 PM~  

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

(And perhaps if you think of the typographical comment as a testimony to your professionalism, it sounds better?) :-)

Blogger RageyOne commented at 5:13 PM~  

Congrats!

Blogger What Now? commented at 7:50 PM~  

Hip hip hooray!! Congratulations, Dr. Lecturess!

Blogger G-Fav commented at 11:54 PM~  

Congratulations!

Is this the part where you start wearing black turtlenecks, smoking, and hanging out in cafes writing books about authors?

Do you do that already?

Ah what do I know.

Happy Day!

g-fav

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:03 AM~  

yippee! Rock on, Doctoress! Way to go.

-j-fav.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 6:26 PM~  

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So happy for you!!!!!
Well done, Dr. L!!!!!
:))

Blogger RLB commented at 9:30 PM~  

Adding my voice to the chorus: hooray for you! Cue "4-bar" again! (Ah, hell, cue the whole thing -- this accomplishment deserves the full-length version!)

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 5:02 AM~  

Congrats, sis!!! See you in Dec. I might have even decided on a job by then.

-scr

Blogger Scrivener commented at 10:17 PM~  

Congratulations!!! Woohoo!!!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com