(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Argh! Still up!

Why am I still up when it's nearly 11.30 and I have to get up at 5.30 tomorrow?

Actually, the better question is why I have to be up at the ungodly hour of 5.30: because, dear reader, I have an 8.45 a.m. photo shoot at Schmancy. You know how I said that they want to put the fellows' pictures up on their web page? Yeah. Nothing makes one look fresher and more glamorous than getting up at 5.30 a.m. on a Monday and then spending two hours in transit. And who said I even wanted my photo up? What I REALLY want is my goddamn stipend, people.

I'm still up in part because, well, I never go to bed before midnight (before 1 a.m. is hard enough), but also because I was on the phone first with my folks and then with my friend Victoria, who is interviewing tomorrow for the publishing job I just left. She's one of my oldest and dearest friends, dating back to our time together on the high school quiz bowl team (yeah, spare me the jokes), who's now in grad school out here in Major Eastern City. And I thought, who better to take over this sweet part-time gig? And to alleviate some of my guilt about leaving? So I had to give her the run-down on the people and the situation, and gossip about our respective friends and family members, and . . . the next thing you know, I'm looking at 6 hours of sleep at best.

God. Maybe I just won't go in on Tuesday. But wait: I'm already missing on Wednesday because I have jury duty. JURY DUTY. Kill me now.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 11:33 PM |


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 4:25 PM~  

There was an academic in England that died recently (cannot for the life of me remember her name, but am fairly sure she was at oxbridge) who refused to pose for photos, so when they had a group photo for a web page, they did it outside of her office, and she can be seen sitting inside her office on the window-sill reading a book. That would be my plan, but I believe she was thought of as a gloriously eccentric academic. If I did it, I'd be an uncooperative bitch...

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 8:13 AM~  

Jokes? Man, high school quiz bowl is NO LAUGHING MATTER.

But sleep or no I'm sure you were marvelous, darling...

-J-fav.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com