(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Greatest movie you've never heard of

Or, at any rate, that GWB and I had never heard of (Margo and my friend Jonesy may well have done): 1936's Libeled Lady, starring Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy, and William Powell--those last two better-known for their roles as Nora and Nick in the Thin Man movies.*

It's one of the best screwball comedies I've seen, featuring uniformly great acting and convoluted romantic storylines reminiscent of Midsummer Night's Dream. Plus, a newspaper setting! A spoiled heiress! Reno divorces! What more could you want?

Really a treat after Dinner at Eight, which, apart from a fantastic performance by Harlow, was rather a disappointment.


*What is it about 1936? It seems as though many of my favorite songs and movies were released in that year, as was my Western Electric telephone.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 11:37 PM |


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 5:41 AM~  

what a cool phone. Think it would look better on my table though.

Blogger What Now? commented at 8:20 AM~  

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation; I've never seen the film, and I do love me a screwball comedy! And I totally agree about 1936--just a fan-damn-tastic year.

Blogger Ianqui commented at 12:32 PM~  

Hey LL, B* sent me. But on the other hand, I already read your blog...

Blogger Apostle John commented at 3:41 PM~  

You're right -- I never heard of that movie. I'll have to check it out soon.

Blogger What Now? commented at 5:06 PM~  

Hey, guess what? Last night D. and I wandered into our local campy paraphernalia store (that is, purveyors of all things clever and camp--it's amazing how much better we feel about our Small City ever since this store opened), and lo and behold! there was a 1936 exploitation film on my particular topic of interest for only $10. Hurrah! Needless to say, I bought it and will be enjoying it this weekend.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com