(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Email: lecturess[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Recent Posts Things I Read and/or People I Like

Late Spring To-Do List

  • Read scholarly book #1
  • Read scholarly book #2
  • Catch up on professional journals
  • Administer evaluations
  • Grade seminar research papers
  • Write two final exams
  • Grade final exams
  • Compute final grades
  • Order books for fall
  • Find apartment in New City
  • Attend INRU Commencement!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Odds & ends from Pepys

23 September 1660

[I]n Mr. Symon's pewe I sat and heard Mr. Rowe [give a sermon]. Before sermon I laughed at the reader, who in his prayer desired of God that He would imprint his word on the thums of our right hands and on the right great toes of our right feet. In the middst of sermon some plaster fell from the topp of the Abbey, that made me and all the rest in our pew afeared, and I wished myself out.


7 October 1660

[M]y Lord told me that among his father's many old sayings that he had writ in a book of his, this is one: that he that doth get a wench with child and marries her afterwards it is as if a man should shit in his hat and then clap it upon his head.

--------------------
And yes, I've now finished the first volume! On to 1661--a conveniently slimmer book, just in time for my trip to Northwest City tomorrow.


link | posted by La Lecturess at 11:30 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com